You might notice a slightly problematic stereotype when you turn on an ’80s or ’90s family movie. Typically, when you see braces on screen from this era, they’re usually worn by a nerdy kid or teenager. But unfortunately, orthodontic issues don’t simply cease to exist at a certain age!
Do I Need Braces?
Dr. Moon has been serving and empowering the Kansas City area with orthodontic solutions like braces, regardless of the patient’s age, for a number of years. But what constitutes braces? They can be a solution for functionality or aesthetic purposes, but usually are due to the following problems:
- Cosmetic Concerns: A beautiful smile is timeless! As you age, addressing cosmetic concerns related to your smile is desirable. This can have a remarkably positive impact on your self-esteem!
- Health Benefits: Properly aligned teeth often result in improved overall oral health. Straight teeth are easier to clean, reducing the likelihood of tooth decay and gum disease due to effective cleaning!
- Orthodontic issues: Various dental issues can necessitate braces as the optimal treatment plan. Common concerns include crowded teeth, spacing issues, or bite problems.
Once you’ve been examined and approved for braces, our team at Moon Orthodontics will customize a treatment plan (a layout of your treatment process, follow-ups, and recovery) to your particular wants and needs for braces. Furthermore, we’ll ensure you feel confident in taking this crucial step on your dental journey.
A Treatment For All Ages
Your age may not affect your ability to get braces, but there will be several variations to consider. We will be comparing and contrasting a few aspects of braces based on a child’s experiences vs. an adult’s. Knowing this information will also help you if you fall in between!
- Children: Traditional metal braces are typically the primary choice for treating children. They are highly effective and can address various dental issues. However, in some cases, the doctor may consider clear braces or aligners as suitable alternatives, depending on the specific treatment needs.
- Adults: Adults often lean toward clear aligners or ceramic braces for their more discreet appearance. The choice between these options depends on both the specific case requirements and the patient’s personal preferences.
- Children: Braces can sometimes lead to confidence issues among children. They may worry about their appearance during the treatment process and how their peers view them. While the wait is always worth it in the end, it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
- Adults: Adults may experience similar concerns, but they often approach them from a different standpoint. They may be more open to tolerating treatment and considering the long-term benefits of braces.
Challenges with Treatment
- Children: Children have more flexible tissues and jawbones, which can facilitate simpler solutions for certain procedures. However, they may be somewhat less willing to adhere to and cooperate with their treatment plan.
- Adults: Adults may face challenges due to pre-existing dental treatments such as fillings, crowns, or bridges that need to be maintained alongside their braces. Additionally, their fully developed jaws can limit certain treatment options.
- Children: Orthodontic treatment for children plays a formative role. Its aim is to guide the proper development and growth of the jaw, as well as the alignment of incoming or erupted permanent teeth. Early-age braces are often categorized as interceptive treatment, offering the advantage of identifying and addressing issues like crowding and bite problems before they become more formidable.
- Adults: By contrast, adults in this situation have had their teeth for a longer period. They might seek to address long-standing aesthetic or orthodontic concerns. Given that all their teeth are permanent, braces will primarily concentrate on aligning the existing teeth.
Oral Health and Compliance
- Children: Typically, children require extra supervision and guidance to ensure they adhere to appropriate oral hygiene practices and dietary restrictions while wearing braces. Neglecting these healthy habits can pose a challenge to achieving a successful treatment outcome.
- Adults: Generally, adults are more adept at maintaining their oral hygiene, leading to more favorable results and fewer complications during the treatment process.
We Love Our Patients to The Moon and Back!
So, as you can see, braces are an option for everybody! You can meet Dr. Moon’s expert orthodontic team in our two offices in Overland Park and Olathe. You can book a free consultation online with us or give us a call at (913) 914-9261.